Thursday, November 22, 2012

Health Tips - Anti-oxidants

Being a blueberry farmer for most of my life and finding out about the antioxidant qualities of the fruit, I thought that better health was assured through constant consumption of the berries.  After reading the “Eat to Live” book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, I better understood healthy eating and health in general.  I didn’t have to worry about consuming lots blueberries for good health, with the knowledge from the book, I realized that almost all plant based whole foods were very beneficial.  For the Eat to Live diet, I am required to keep 90% of my food's calories within the diet‘s recommendations.  However, I try to eat almost all my foods within it.  This picking season start May 2013, I want to get back into eating more blueberries, but for now, I enjoy all things, creating a healthy habit for all fruits and veggies.  I take them in their whole food forms as best as that can be done (lightly cooked or raw, seasoned with no salt, but loads of all the good spices of life).  My calorie intake is minimal coming only through the whole foods that I eat.  Refined sugars & salt (sodium) are kept to a minimum.  I don’t miss the sugars of the American diet.  It is a good trade off to have an abundance in the flavors of whole foods over what I view now as bland sweets, salts and fats of the Standard American Diet (the SAD).


Believe it or not, whole foods can actually make you a little fat, so I have a plan to keep more closely to the book (Eat to Live).  (Are there many skinny rabbits, cows, elephants or hippos? Whole foods can give you weight, but health also.)  I am not suppose to snack all day long.  That is a hard one for me to do.  So, I’ll compromise and when I want to snack, I’ll avoid fruits and instead concentrate of the veggies, like raw carrots or the like alone or with a low fat salad topping.  I am trying to fine tune my intake of calories to enjoy eating, but not to constantly consume more calories.  In the world of health, in a sense you have to find something that agrees with you and with the science of you body to be successful in your improvements.  Today and on, I will carry bags of fresh veggies to munch on.  The book, says to avoid snacks and eat hearty meals, but old habits are hard to break, I love simple snacks during the day.  We will see if the pounds can come off with a switch from fruit to veggie snacks.  I usually eat carrots like they are candy. 

The whole point about this diet is to look & feel great, enjoy flavors of foods (whole foods), stay very active and enjoy being full, yet your intake calories are naturally kept low through your proper food choices.  The end result is high nutrition, excellent health, removal of poor chronic health conditions and diseases, improved mental health, loads of energy, a sharper mind and less stress.  Others will watch you and see how you are doing.  It is not a diet fad, but a degree of knowledge that enriches you and aids a better understanding of what health is.  You commit to the flavors and taste of a fantastic lifestyle.  This is one diet that you could throw away your cookbook, for the whole foods straight from the “Garden of Eden” have enormous flavors that a healthy person soon realizes, yet people on the American Diet may never appreciate or understand.  The greatest disability of people who are on the American Diet (eating process foods & a high content of animal proteins, sugars, sodium salts and fats) is that their taste buds aren’t able to enjoy real foods (the whole foods).  Like people hooked on drugs who can’t appreciate the natural & beautiful world around us, so are souls of this world being addicted to our American Diet can not taste the vibrant and full flavors of wholesome foods. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment